About the Position:
As a Laboratory Technician, you will play an essential role in supporting the wastewater quality control program by performing chemical, microbiological, and physical analyses on wastewater samples, and maintaining data records and logs. If you are someone who has excellent attention to detail, collaborates effectively with your team members, and enjoys working in a fast-paced environment, we encourage you to apply!
About the Environmental Lab:
The Environmental Laboratory Services ensures that the Persigo Wastewater Treatment Plant discharges effluent (treated) water that complies with state and federal regulations, which is the number one goal of the Environmental Lab. This goal is achieved through an intense quality control program that requires a well-equipped and highly trained staff of laboratory professionals. In addition to monitoring the wastewater discharge, the Laboratory also analyzes samples for the City's Industrial Pretreatment Program and processes control samples for wastewater operations.
What You'll Do:
- Record equipment temperatures, maintain records and logs of sampling and data; assist in preparing and completing reports relevant to regulatory monitoring and process control requirements; perform quality control and quality assurance on analytical runs to ensure data is representative, accurate, and legally defensible.
- Assist with receiving samples from clients; and answering basic inquiries and questions from clients as needed.
- Collect, preserve, and prepare samples for analysis.
- Operate a variety of laboratory equipment; perform analytical, physical, and microbiological analyses according to standard methods; troubleshoot problems as necessary.
- Prepare standard solutions and reagents for use in the laboratory; prepare and sterilize media and other supplies.
What We're Looking For:
- One (1) year of experience in the collection and analysis of water and/or wastewater samples.
- An Associate's degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in chemistry, biology, or a science-related field is desired.
- Possession of, or ability to obtain an appropriate, valid driver's license.
- Possession of, or ability to obtain, a valid CPR/First Aid certification within 12 months.
Other combinations of experience and education that meet the minimum requirements may be substituted.