Natural Resources Specialist-Fuels
- Performs as the natural resource specialist for fuels management planning; responsible for the analysis of fire and treatment effects to achieve land management resource objectives.
- Provides specialized guidance/advice in the development/planning of prescribed fire/fuels management/other vegetation treatment programs/policies. They also may include Emergency Stabilization and Rehabilitation (ESR) projects following wildfire.
- Formulates projects/develops objectives/serves as the Interdisciplinary Team lead and completes the required level of NEPA for each project.
- Ensures the implementation of fuels management projects comply with the Conditions of Approval/ Mitigating Measures developed in the NEPA process.
- Serves as the primary resource advisor for fuels management projects, providing key input to the District/Field Office Management Team in the assessment and management of fuels planning.
- Designs and conducts intensive quantitative and qualitative monitoring and studies to determine if fuels management objectives are being met, and to determine the effectiveness of applied treatments.
- Requires a thorough knowledge of current scientific theories and methodologies to ensure the proper treatment is applied to the project area.
- Designs and implements fuels management monitoring to document presence, amount, and types of fuels. Utilizes the results of monitoring surveys to prioritize prescribed fire and fuels management projects.
- Implements and administers prescribed fire and fuels management activities and treatments to ensure targets are achieved, management objectives are met, and mitigation measures are adequate.
- Monitors fire behavior, evaluates fire and treatment effects, identifies potential problems, and takes appropriate action.